Bring a touch of California surf & soul into any space
Creating a surf house style in your very own home is simple. Wake up everyday feeling like a bit of Californian sun and soul has entered into your day, with these surf style tips for you home. Use the treasures collected from your surf trips, combined with a fresh colour palette, plants and textiles, to achieve the perfect salty boho balance in any room of the house.
Mount your boards on the wall
- Mount your surfboards and skateboards on the walls for all to see. This not only makes a decorative feature out of your most prized possessions but also helps get them out the way in terms of storage solutions. Or use an old board that’s dinged beyond repair, or a cheap 2nd hand board, and have a go at decorating it up with bright colours and tribal patterns with some paint sample pots or with stencils and spray paints.
Create a surf inspired wall collage
- Create an eclectic wall collage of vintage surf prints and travel postcards from all your favorite surf destinations. Alternatively mix up photos from your travels with tropical prints, or pitch for an ocean-themed collection. Use a variety of frame sizes and cover a large section of a wall to make an interesting feature wall.
Neutral tones to show off your travel artefacts
- Soft and warm white or stone-coloured walls will act as the perfect base to showcase your wall mounts, picture collages and interesting artefacts that you have on display from your surf travels. Or for a cleaner nautical look paint floorboards white and opt for a cooler crisper white on the walls or a pale blue. If you’re a fan of a bit of colour on your walls, then soft turquoise, dusty pink and light grey can all work well with this look.
Use lots of wood
- Use lots of wood in furnishings and shelving. With natural warm tones and organic grain lines which echo the waves, of which Oak is particularly beautiful in this respect. Bamboo is great for a more sustainable wood option. And giving an old wooden table or chest of draws a shabby chic paint job is an affordable upcycling idea. Likewise, collect driftwood branches to suspend from the ceiling as sculptural pieces or light fittings.
Shabby chic ratten chairs and leather armchairs
- Go for rattan chairs and leather armchairs. Think big, comfy statement pieces filled with oversized cushions. Perfect for kicking back in to chill to your top tunes or read a good book. Mid-century pieces with their organic lines, natural materials, and distinctive prints also sit perfectly in any surf style home.
Accessorise with patterened textiles
- For your textiles think Aztec, tribal, vintage, Moroccan, and natural toned cotton and linen, to give your room a bohemian edge that nod towards your favorite surf destinations. Deck your sofas and armchairs with oversized throws and your floors with Persian rugs or artisan weaves.
Lots of folliage in your interior spaces
- Plants are a must for completing the surf house style as us surfers feel nowhere more at home than when out in nature. Fill your corners with big palms and banana plants. And your shelves with draping plants like and playful cacti in painted pots.
Check out more surf-inspired posts here!